Friday 4 October 2013

An invitation I couldn't resist!

It turned out to be a very productive time, early 2011. I am still not sure why or how, but an email turned up one day inviting me to join an online embroidery forum called Stitchaholics. 

Using social media software supplied by NING, Stitchaholics was created by Caroline Sumeray and has since maintained a steady and loyal following. For me, I suddenly found myself part of a stitching fraternity frequented by many encouraging and supportive online friends. The common language of embroidery transcending language and borders.



I joined the Crewel and Jacobean Embroidery Group and was encouraged to provide photos of my efforts. When these were posted I was provided with constructive and positive feedback.

And why wouldn't I pay attention to the advice given when you find out one of your online mentors, RaeleneV, had recently finished her own magnificent crewel worked piano stool. And the primary stitch? You guessed it, long and short stitch!

Piano Stool designed and stitched by RaeleneV


It was actually suggested to me by an experienced stitcher that I should wait until I was in a classroom before I tackled long and short stitch. To make sure I got the right instruction from day one. I think this was very good advice. But as it turned out, the classroom was online. 

In response to my obvious apprehension RaeleneV, posted the following step by step guide to producing long and short stitch leaves for Design No. 1.


You can only reach the same conclusions that I did:
  • the stitch really should be called Long and Longer Stitch
  • those instructional line drawings we often see do give you a sense of the technique but worked thread shows far more
  • that RaeleneV knows what she is talking about and cared enough to share it
  • that I can learn online
Note: for those interested in joining Stitchaholics please leave a Comment 

No comments:

Post a Comment